High-quality and durable airport security perimeter fencing is essential as the first line of defence when protecting staff, passengers and fuel sources from outside security risks – such as terrorism, trespassers and other criminal activity.
With airport security fencing performing various functions in potentially dangerous situations, having both radio transparent and frangible fencing in airports is crucial:
- Ensures any radio signals from landing aid devices do not interfere with radars and traffic controls
- If this particular kind of fencing is collided with, then it will break up into many fragments, making it less of a risk in instances of any plane crashes
Some airports also use Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP) Fencing – the next evolution in Frangible Radio Transparent or Non-Conductive Fencing and Railings. Here at CLD Fencing, our GRP range of mesh fencing and railings can be meshed with GRP crash gates in the form of Fibrefence. Let’s take a look at this in more detail.
Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP) Fencing
Adopted by 50+ airports and military fields globally, our Fibrefence GRP Mesh is the latest in GRP technology and offers a non-conductive, non-corrosive, frangible and radio transparent fencing system.
- Features mesh, profiles and wind-bracings – making it one of the most efficient, durable and cost-effective solutions on the market
- Fast and easy installation due to it being lightweight – reduces the need for heavy lifting equipment and expensive installation costs
- Mechanical resistant and protects against intrusion attempts and wildlife
- Parts of the mesh can be buried into the ground and a smaller mesh used at the bottom – in line with recommendations from the Aviation Authorities
- Security can be further increased by adding special arms to support plastic, barbed or concertina wires to the vertical rods
- Compatible with the most common intrusion detection, monitoring and control systems
Benefits of Fibrefence GRP Railings
When added security is needed, our Fibrefence GRP Railing Systems completes any aviation project:
- Uses GRP pultruded profiles which are then assembled to create self-standing, modular panels that combine high mechanical resistance and efficient protection with radio transparency and frangibility requirements
- Suitable to protect areas subject to jet-blast thanks to extremely tough design
- Available in standard heights from 1m to 3m, with other dimensions being designed and manufactured based on specific requirements
Benefits of Fibrefence GRP Gates
Having controlled access to a site – whether pedestrian or vehicular – is just as important as the fence and gate-lines in an airport.
Here are just some of the advantages of our Fibrefence GRP Gates:
- Share all GRP’s intrinsic benefits – radio transparency, frangibility, and corrosion, UV rays, weather and mechanical resistance – and requires minimal maintenanc
- Lightweight compared to equivalent steel gate systems and is easy to assemble on site
- If driven through, even when closed, there will be no major damage to rescue vehicles – allowing prompt intervention
- Available in single or double-leaf layout with standard height up to 2.5m and apertures up to 12m
CLD Fencing has been instrumental in keeping the UK’s airports safe for the last decade and remains at the forefront of airport security fencing.
Project – airport perimeter security fencing, Manchester Airport
There has continued to be hundreds of airport security breaches over the last 10 years – these instances, whilst not terror-related, mainly consist of intruders. And updates in security surveillance and detection procedures has meant that breaches have been identified and dealt with far quicker than before.
Since 2011, CLD Fencing have been working with the Manchester Airport Group (MAG) – which owns Manchester, London Stanstead and East Midlands airports – to upgrade their entire airport perimeter security fencing and gates.
MAG serves approximately 2.7 million passengers a year and employs around 20,000 people across all airports. Working closely with members of the local police force, counter terror units, health and safety, security and transport representatives.
This project is continually evolving as the terror threat level changes and, as such, CLD Fencing has continued to provide innovative perimeter fencing solutions to keep the whole of Manchester Airport safe and secure at all times.
Before starting this project for new perimeter fence lines and physical access control, CLD were provided with a list of targets that needed to be achieved with the innovative perimeter fencing solutions:
- Had to be placed in a number of ways, such as in concrete, base-plated and ground buried
- Strong anti-cut wires on any mesh
- Anti-climb and anti-vandal properties
- Cost-effective (due to size of the project)
CLD Fencing determined the following perimeter fencing and complementary gates systems were ideal for airport projects:
Ultimate Extra Rigid Mesh Fencing (wire mesh fences – profiled panel)
Still offering the security of the Ultimate profiled panel system, the Ultimate Extra provides more protection with vertical 6mm heavy duty wire just 25mm apart on each panel, delivering increased perimeter fencing protection for high-status premises – ideal for airports.
The structure of this particular fencing system makes it difficult for an intruder to scale and the upper profiles enhance the strength of the wire mesh fences.
Conforming to BS 1722 14 for open mesh steel fence panels, this fencing solution is specified across the UK by Councils and Security Consultants.
Benefits of using the Ultimate Extra Rigid Mesh Fencing
Critical in keeping our airports safe, the Ultimate Extra Rigid Mesh Fencing solution has a number of benefits:
- Clear visibility with 165 x 25mm mesh apertures
- Easy to lift and install due to rigid panels
- Increased rigidity due to the profile with 6m nominal wire
- SafeTFix hidden fixing systems and full-length clamp bar for security
- 25mm top projection to prevent scaling with excellent CCTV surveillance
- Available in a full range of RAL colours, with a 15-year guarantee
The Ultimate Extra Rigid Mesh Fencing is complemented with Lockmaster Swing Gates, which have the following:
Benefits of Lockmaster Swing Gates
- Single and double leaf options available
- Heights up to 400mm with widths for the double leaf up to 1200mm and single leaf up to 600mm
- Wide range of locking options
- Hot dipped galvanised and polyester powder-coated
- Inwards, outwards and 180 degree opening